International Students In Australia Can Apply For COVID-19 Crisis Fund

international students

International students made up more than 10 per cent of the population of 17 Sydney suburbs ranging from Rockdale to Pyrmont. But, the number have plummeted up to one-third since travel restriction were introduced. Corona virus pandemic cost the jobs of many international students. As a result, it left them with no income and stressed. 

On the other hand, Scott Morrison announced in April that international students who had lost jobs would not qualify for government support. They were permitted to access superannuation if they had any.  Further, he added, there is the alternative for them to return to their home countries.

This statements on the period of crisis stunned many international students. However, now those who were affected by corona virus pandemic, can  now apply for COVID-19 crisis fund. This relief packaged is funded by NSW Government for vulnerable students, and will be delivered through approved student accomodation and homestay providers.

Students, affected by Corona virus pandemic, need to apply the application through Service NSW official website, and only selected student will be allocated the accommodation by Service NSW. In addition, applicants will not be able to self-select their own accommodation.


To be eligible you must:

  • hold an international student visa
  • have been evicted or be facing imminent eviction

  • have been laid off from your employment

  • have less than $1500 in savings

  • have no other avenues of support. 

What you need?
  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • personal and contact details
  • documentary evidence that you meet all the eligibility requirements as itemised below:
International student visa status
  • international passport
  • a copy of your Confirmation of Enrolment to study in NSW
  • visa subclass 500, or
  • visa subclass 408 (COVID-19 Pandemic event).
Evidence of eviction

One of the following document is needed:

  • notice of eviction from NCAT

  • letter/email from a real estate agent or landlord terminating your lease, or

  • other written evidence such as a text or social media message from a real estate agent, landlord, head tenant or host family, terminating your stay.

Loss of employment
  • letter, email, text message or social media message from an employer terminating your employment.
Financial hardship
  • a copy of your bank statement(s) showing that you have less than $1500 in savings.
Assistance needed

A “letter of support” from your education provider confirming: 

  • your name, student number and enrolment status

  • that you have exhausted avenues of support available from your provider

  • the contact details of a representative of the provider who can be contacted to discuss your situation.

Note: If your education provider has closed, you need to advise Service NSW the provider’s name and their contact details and website, so their closure can be verified.

How to apply

To apply, COVID -19 Crisis fund, you need to visit Service NSW official website for application. If you think you meet the requirement criteria, then CLICK HERE to apply.

Leave a Reply